Applying for a storage project
SNIC and UPPMAX systems are suitable for analysing active datasets. A storage project is needed if you are planning to work on Rackham with more than 100 GB.
N.B.: If you need a place to store data for backup or some other convenience, please do not request a project at UPPMAX.
Before submitting a proposal for storage project
- Are you working with sensitive personal data? Please apply for a SNIC SENS project instead.
- Make sure you have a compute project. You can use the same compute project for multiple datasets. A submitted proposal for a compute project is sufficient.
- Make sure you actually need a new storage project. It is often easier to manage one large storage area than multiple smaller areas. If you already have a storage project, a new project can be appropriate if, for example, a different group of people will be working with the different datasets.
- Be aware that there is currently no backup being done for UPPMAX Storage projects. You, as PI, have responsibility for your own data and should ensure that backups are kept.
Submitting a proposal for storage project
- Figure out how much raw data you're going to get, in GB.
- If you're going to work from existing databases, this is relatively straightforward.
- If an NGS platform is producing data for you, they can provide an estimate.
- Estimate the "expansion factor", i.e. how much additional data you'll produce when analyzing the raw data. This number is usually 1.5x-3x, sometimes more.
- Calculate a final estimate of your total storage needs. This is "GB of raw data" times "expansion factor".
- If you need less than 128 GB, you don't need a storage project! Just use your compute project's storage.
- Go to SUPR. Log in.
- Go to the UPPMAX Storage round. Create a new proposal.
- Complete the proposal and submit.
- Project Title should be the topic of your activity.
- Edit Basic Information.
- Abstract should summarise your research plan. If you are working with human, clinical, or medical data, please clearly state that this is not sensitive personal data.
- Resource Usage should describe the data you're going to store. Show how you estimated your projected needs.
- Add co-investigators (if any).
- If someone other than the PI needs control over the project, assign a co-investigator the role of proxy.
- Add the Crex resource to the proposal and set the Requested Capacity to your total storage needs. You may ignore the other fields.
- Submit the Proposal.