Applying for a storage project
SNIC and UPPMAX systems are suitable for analysing active datasets. A storage project is needed if you are planning to work on Rackham with more than 100 GB.
N.B.: If you need a place to store data for backup or some other convenience, please do not request a project at UPPMAX.
Before submitting a proposal for storage project
- Are you working with sensitive personal data? Please apply for a SNIC SENS project instead.
- Make sure you have a compute project. You can use the same compute project for multiple datasets. A submitted proposal for a compute project is sufficient.
- Make sure you actually need a new storage project. It is often easier to manage one large storage area than multiple smaller areas. If you already have a storage project, a new project can be appropriate if, for example, a different group of people will be working with the different datasets.
- Backup on Crex exists as a 30-day incremental backup. Keeping a primary copy of your data elsewhere is recommended, because it does happen that users accidentally destroy their own data and don't notice for more than 30 days.
Submitting a proposal for storage project
- Figure out how much raw data you're going to get, in GB.
- If you're going to work from existing databases, this is relatively straightforward.
- If an NGS platform is producing data for you, they can provide an estimate.
- Estimate the "expansion factor", i.e. how much additional data you'll produce when analyzing the raw data. This number is usually 1.5x-3x, sometimes more.
- Calculate a final estimate of your total storage needs. This is "GB of raw data" times "expansion factor".
- If you need less than 128 GB: you don't need a storage project! Just use your compute project's storage.
- If you need less than 10 TB: you need a Small storage project.
- If you need less than 50 TB: you need a Medium storage project.
- If you need more than 50 TB: Contact UPPMAX Support for assistance.
- Go to SUPR. Log in.
- Go to the appropriate storage round. Small UPPMAX or Medium. Create a new proposal.
- Complete the proposal and submit.
- Project Title should be the topic of your activity.
- Edit Basic Information.
- Abstract should summarise your research plan. If you are working with human, clinical, or medical data, please clearly state that this is not sensitive personal data.
- Resource Usage should describe the data you're going to store. Show how you estimated your projected needs.
- Data Management Plan should answer at least the following questions:
- The type of data to be stored (genomes, fastq files, image data, .tiff files, etc).
- Whether the data can be considered sensitive personal data.
- A brief timeplan for the data. Where will you move the data when/if you are done working on it at UPPMAX? When do you expect this to occur?
- Do you have a copy of the primary data stored elsewhere? While UPPMAX takes steps to ensure the integrity and survival of your data, this is not a guarantee and we recommend taking a personal responsibility for your data.
- Add co-investigators (if any).
- If someone other than the PI needs control over the project, assign a co-investigator the role of proxy.
- Add the Crex resource to the proposal and set the Requested Capacity to your total storage needs. You may ignore the other fields, if any.
- Submit the Proposal.