Education and training projects
Are you a teacher at Uppsala University and want to teach a course, but need a cluster or a cloud? Keep reading!
Are you going to give a course that will benefit SNIC users? Keep reading!
For Uppsala University education:
Before February 2021: Go to the UPPMAX Courses round in SUPR and start a new proposal.
- In the "Abstract" field, include the following information:
- Course code
- Confirm that you have approval from the Head of Department or a Director of studies
- Project number in economy system
- In the Resource Usage field: Describe the computational and storage needs of the course. Give a brief explanation of what the activities at UPPMAX will consist of. Also include:
- Number of students
- An estimate of total compute-hours needed
- An estimate of total storage needed
- Lab activities:
- Number of sessions
- Number of cores needed per student
- Dates of lab sessions
- Add the Snowy resource.
- Submit the proposal
After some time, the proposal will be approved and the project will be created. Students must create an account in SUPR and be added to the course project.
You must apply for a course project at least 2 weeks before the course/workshop starts. The teacher is responsible for checking that all participants are connected to the course project in SUPR and have an account at UPPMAX at least 2 days before the start.
Also see this FAQ with some general recommendations for giving a course using UPPMAX resources. Key points are:
Node reservations: we can reserve cores/nodes for approved projects. This reserves some resources that are only accessible for project members, e.g. to avoid queue times during lab activities. Send a request to the support at least 1 week before the course starts with your request and a motivation of your requirements: email@example.com.
Maintenance Wednesdays: The first Wednesday of every month is reserved for possible maintenance stops. Avoid scheduling labs and due dates on and around these days.
After February 2021, you must go through UIT to get an education project.
For SNIC user training:
When you apply for a project you have to:
- Describe the course content and target audience
- Describe the organization and participating organizations
- Motivate the need for UPPMAX resources
- Motivate the size of the requested resources
- Enclose a PDF file or a link to a web site describing the course content (for a workshop you can enclose a link to the workshop web page or write a description in the application).
UPPMAX reference: in the course curriculum/course material and on the course site it has to be clear that SNIC-UPPMAX are providing the compute resources.
Accept User Agreement: all participants have to have an account in SUPR AND they have to accept the User Agreement in SUPR. This is either done with a Swedish SWAMID identity OR by sending in a paper copy of the passport to SUPR. This can take some time especially if the person live in another country so please ensure that your course participants do this in time. Make sure they can log in BEFORE the course starts.
Node reservations: we can reserve cores/nodes for approved projects. Send a request to the support at least 1 week before the course starts with your request and a motivation of your requirements: firstname.lastname@example.org.